Dr. Gopaluni’s primary research interests are in Process Modeling and Control. He is interested in developing and studying the properties of data-based models for a variety of chemical and biological systems. These systems are typically nonlinear, hybrid and time varying, and their measurements are often noisy and irregular. The thrust of his research is on developing high quality models for such processes and adapting them to reflect process changes. His research interests also span a wide range of other areas including identification for control, model predictive controllers, adaptive control, and performance monitoring and assessment.
The current focus of his group includes, but is not limited to, the following:
- Identification and Experiment Design for hybrid and irregularly sampled processes
- Adaptive Estimation of irregularly sampled processes
- Adaptation of above methods for small data sets and nonlinear systems
- Applications of these approaches in the Oil & Gas and Pulp & paper industry, and Biomedical engineering
Please see his personal page for further details on specific projects.
- “Identification of Symmetric Noncausal Processes: Cross-Directional Modeling of Paper Machines”. Gopaluni, R.B., P.D. Loewen, M. Ammar, G.A. Dumont, M.S. Davies. To appear in the proceedings of 45th IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, San Diego, USA, 2006.
- “Identification of Delay Dominant Recycle Systems”. R.B. Gopaluni, Raghavan, H., Patwardhan, R.S., Shah, S.L., Dumont, G.A. Journal of Process Control, To Appear, 2006
- “Robust Adaptive Control for Strict-Feedback Nonlinear Systems”. I. Mizumoto, Gopaluni, R.B., Shah, S.L, Iwai, Z. Asian Journal of Control, 7(3), 231-241, 2005
- “MPC relevant identification - Tuning the noise model”. Gopaluni, R.B., R.S.Patwardhan, S.L.Shah. Journal of Process Control, 14(6), 699-714, 2004
- “A Robust Nonlinear Adaptive Backstepping Controller for a CSTR”. Gopaluni, R.B., I. Mizumoto, S.L.Shah. Ind. Eng. Chem. Res.,42(20), 4628-4644, 2003
- “The nature of data pre-filters in MPC relevant identification - Open and Closed loop issues”. Gopaluni, R.B., R.S.Patwardhan, S.L.Shah. Automatica, 39(9), 1617-1626, 2003
- NSERC/Paprican Chair in Chemical Pulping Technology
- Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of British Columbia (APEGBC) - Member
- Canadian Society for Chemical Engineering (CSChE) - member
- North American Mixing Forum (NAMF) - member and serving on the Executive council
- Pulp and Paper Technical Association of Canada (PAPTAC) - member
- CHBE 356 - Process Dynamics and Control (Jan - April 2007 )